This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of my links, I may receive a small compensation at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Penny Pantry! Read My Disclosure Policy
Don’t let the tofu part scare you! Myself, I love tofu, but I have served this to folks who don’t normally eat it, and “I can’t believe this is tofu” was a popular sentiment.
This is really yummy, easy to prepare and only requires a few ingredients. It tastes rich, yet apart from the sugar is healthier than many other desserts.
It’s great by itself, but toppings are nice, too: crushed candy canes, cookie crumbles, berries, bananas and shredded coconut I have tried and enjoyed. I’ve brought this to gatherings served in small individual cups, with bowls of toppings alongside. A big hit, and so easy!
I use the silken tofu boxes seen here:
I find the tofu at Grocery Outlet regularly for $.99. I buy cocoa from Trader Joe’s, as that is the cheapest I have found per lb.
Tofu Chocolate Mousse (vegan and no added fat)
- 1 12.3 oz. box Silken Mori-Nu Tofu This comes in a little sealed box
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder
- 6 TB Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Optional Toppings: Crushed Candy Canes, Cookie Crumbles, Berries, Bananas, Cacao Nibs, Coconut Cream, etc.
- Drain excess water from tofu box, and add to food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients: cocoa, sugar and vanilla to tofu. Process until very smooth.
- Taste, and add more sugar if needed, or even more cocoa if desired for a darker chocolate flavor.
- Pour into individual bowls. Can eat right away, or refrigerate until a bit firmer and colder.
- Add optional toppings right before eating. Enjoy!
You can also make this with other sweeteners, I have used maple syrup in the past too.
Notes on Tofu: I have used many different (lite, regular, firm, extra firm etc.) Mori-Nu Silken Tofus in this, and all work well. The key is just to use silken tofu. If you can’t find it in your area, Amazon has a good price when bought as a case. I also have a recipe for Tofu Sour Cream and Peanut Butter or Wow Butter Pie that uses this tofu, you can find those under my “Recipes” heading.