This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of my links, I may receive a small compensation at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Penny Pantry! Read My Disclosure Policy
This was the very 1st recipe I attempted in my Instant Pot many moons ago. We enjoyed it so much, it is now in my regular rotation. Once a week, I make a big batch of soup for the rest of the week. My husband will take some to work every day for lunch (he doesn’t mind the same thing every day) and the rest of our family will eat some at home during the week.
This soup is very frugal to make, as I buy beans in 25 lb bags for about $.45/lb. Each large serving of soup only costs about $.25!
I use an 8 Quart Instant Pot, as I like to make large batches. I have found that I can safely double bean recipes in my 8 Quart IP.
I LOVE recipes & cookbooks. I read cookbooks like novels. The way that I cook any given recipe is usually pulled from many sources. I will cook a dish that I attempt with lots of experimentation before I consider it “done”. Still, I always like to give credit where credit is due to the original author of recipes that inspire me.
For this soup, I was inspired by a recipe by Susan Voisin of Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. (Her recipes are amazing, by the way!) I contacted her about including my take on her recipe on my site, and she said I could. Thanks, Susan! 🙂
Her original recipe can be found HERE (She also gives instructions on how to make it without an Instant Pot.)
Note: For the salsa, I use my homemade 5-minute Restaurant Style Salsa.
Vegan Black Bean & Corn Instant Pot Soup
- 4 cups Dry Black Beans
- 12 cups Water
- 2 TB Onion Powder or Granuals
- 1 TB Garlic Powder or Granuals
- 1 TB Cumin, ground
- 2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 1 TB Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- 2 cups Salsa I use my homemade "Restaurant Style" salsa.
- 2 tsp Salt Add after soup is cooked.
- 2 cans Corn, 15 oz. ea. Add after soup is cooked. Could also use frozen or fresh corn
- Note that this recipe is written here for an 8 QUART Instant Pot. If you have a 6 qt. IP, use HALF of all the ingredients.
- Check beans for any pebbles or foreign material. Rinse in several changes of water. I just use the metal insert of my IP.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT Salt & Corn to the IP.
- Stir well to incorporate spices well with Beans & Salsa.
- Per your IP’s instructions, set it to “Pressure Cook” at high pressure for 25 minutes. Make sure the valve is in the correct position as well.
- Allow to naturally release for 20 minutes.
- Manually release any remaining pressure
- Stir in corn & salt with lid open. Taste, and adjust for salt & spices. Remove bay leaves.
- This is delicious garnished with my Tofu Sour Cream, Fresh Tomatoes More Salsa, Sliced Avocado or a Dollop of Guacamole, and/or Tortilla Chips.
- This soup actually thickens up a lot after it cools and sits in the fridge overnight. We prefer it the 2nd day. Enjoy!