This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of my links, I may receive a small compensation at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Penny Pantry! Read My Disclosure Policy
My homemade vegan take on the popular vegetarian Gardenburger that is sold in the stores. Made with whole foods such as mushrooms, brown rice and bulghur wheat.
Before I followed a vegan diet, I enjoyed my fair share of Gardenburgers. They were sold in bulk at Costco, and made for a quick and yummy meal.
We have SO many good vegan burgers on the market now, that it’s quick and easy for me to enjoy a burger whenever I want.
However, I do enjoy making food from scratch, and I strive to be as oil-free in my diet as possible. The ready-made burgers are delicious, but many contain a lot of oil and are not made from whole foods. I enjoy those on occasion, but as a treat.
This recipe that I came up with can be made 100% oil-free, and is made with whole foods such as mushrooms, brown rice and bulghur wheat.
Not only are these burgers healthy, they taste really GOOD, too! The flavors are yummy, and the burgers hold together well and don’t fall apart! I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!
Tip: You can easily double, triple or even quadruple this recipe if you want to make a big batch. I like to freeze homemade burgers on a tray 1st, then transfer to a freezer bag or other container. Freezing on a tray 1st prevents them from sticking together while frozen.
Time Saver: You can make up the mixture one day, refrigerate, and cook the burgers the next day.
- 2 TB Bulghur Wheat, dry
- 1 lb. Button Mushrooms, quartered
- 2/3 cup Brown Rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup Dry Oats, Whole Rolled
- 1/4 cup Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 /2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Dry Rubbed Sage
- 1/2 tsp Basil, dry
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, dry
- Soak bulghur wheat in one cup boiling water for one hour. Squeeze out excess water when time is up.
- Saute the mushrooms with a splash of water until softened, adding more water if needed. Squeeze out extra water (Use the back of a spoon if too hot to touch) and reserve some of the water, may need later.
- In a food processor, combine mushrooms, bulghur wheat, and rice. Pulse until well chopped, but not a paste.
- In large mixing bowl, combine contents of food processor bowl with remaining ingredients. If mixture is too wet, add a bit more wheat gluten flour and/or oats. If too dry, add some of the reserved mushroom water.
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Form the mixture into 6 equal patties.
- In a non-stick skillet on medium high, (lightly oiled or not), pan fry patties on both sides until lightly browned. Transfer to a baking sheet with a silicone liner. Then, bake for 20 minutes in the oven until set. I use a non-stick silicone liner placed on top of a baking sheet.
- Serve on a bun with your choice of condiments. Enjoy! 🙂