This post contains affiliate links. If you click on one of my links, I may receive a small compensation at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Penny Pantry! Read My Disclosure Policy
This is my family’s favorite sausage patty recipe! The spices are what really make these special. I have tweaked the original recipe, testing out different ingredients over the years numerous times and settled on this one.
The 1st time I tried the original recipe, I felt it was too bread-like. It called for more flour. I experimented with adding vital wheat gluten, and that really improved these. I played around with the recipe a lot, and come up with this version which my family loves!
It is adaptable to being 100% oil-free, too! My daughter likes to fry the patties in a bit of oil, but I prefer to bake them as I am WFPB as much as possible.
For cooking oil-free, these bake beautifully without any added oils. I bake them on a non-stick liner in the oven. Amazon has this good deal on a pack of 2. These are magical for oil-free baking!
These are super yummy with my shortening & oil-free Baking Powder Biscuits, too! We use these Sausage Patties in lots of different ways: alongside Tofu Scramble, Pancakes, on English Muffins, even on Pizza or in Stir-Fry. You can check out some of those recipes HERE.
The spices in this are what really make it sing, giving the patties that authentic sausage flavor!
These freeze great, too! I always double the recipe, freeze individually on a cookie sheet then transfer to a plastic freezer bag. Freezing them in a single layer ensures they don’t stick together later. You can pull out the # you like out of the bag, and microwave about 1.5 minutes.
Ingredient Guidelines for WFPB: If you would prefer not to use TVP, you could use Soy Curls instead. Rehydrate them, then grind briefly in a food processor.
Vegan Sausage Patties
- 1.5 cups TVP, small granuals (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 1.5 cups Boiling Water
- 1.5 cups White Whole Wheat Flour any flour will work
- 1.5 cups Oats
- 3/4 cups Vital Wheat Gluten Flour
- 3 TB Nutritional Yeast
- 3 TB Ground Flax Seed
- 1 TB Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Dry Rubbed Sage
- 2 tsp Whole Fennel Seeds, lightly crushed I use a mortar & pestle to crush
- 1 tsp Fennel Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence Optional
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 4 TB Soy Sauce
- 1 TB Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Molasses
- Soak TVP, covered in boiling water and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl from Flour through Salt.
- Dissolve liquid smoke in the 1/2 cup water and stir.
- When TVP is soft, add this to the bowl with dry ingredients. I use a slotted spoon to do this, reserving the remaining water in the bowl.
- Add liquid smoke to the mixture.
- Start with a spoon to incorporate all ingredients, then use your hands until no dry flour can be seen. Mix lightly, as you still want some of the TVP to resemble sausage. You will see strands of gluten start to form.
- If mixture seems dry, add a bit of the reserved TVP soaking water. If it seems too wet, add more Vital Wheat Gluten Flour.
- Cover with a towel and let rest 5 minutes.
- You have the option of either frying the patties, or baking.To Bake: Form into desired size patties, and bake at 350 degrees about 15 mts. until browned. I use a non-stick silpat liner. You can flip once, but it’s optional. To Fry: Heat up a non-stick pan, and fry on both sides until browned. Using oil to fry is optional if you use a non-stick pan.
- Enjoy! I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does! <3
- Tip when forming patties: If you lightly dampen your hands with water, they will be easier to form and will stick to your hands less.
This 4-pack of TVP is often on a really good deal: