This post may contain affiliate links. If you click on one of my links, I may receive a small compensation at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting The Penny Pantry!
This is the potato-carrot vegan cheese sauce I used in my nachos I posted recently. I had a request for the recipe, so here you go! (Thanks for the request Sophia 🙂 )
This recipe is adapted from the one in “The Uncheese Cookbook”, the very first vegan cookbook I purchased 17 years ago! Although I had been vegetarian for many years, it was my first foray into veganism. My daughter had just been diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis at 2 years old, and I adopted many of Dr. Weil’s recommendations.
There are lots of similar potato-carrot cheese sauce recipe floating around the internet. I have tried others, but really like the simplicity, taste and texture of this one. Don’t worry too much about the size of the carrots and potatoes, it always comes out amazing! Just keep your ratio of potato and carrot 1:1. I quadrupled the recipe last time I made it, as seen here:
I usually buy nutritional yeast for $9.99/lb. in the Bulk Food area of Whole Foods. Prices can vary widely, so if you are looking to get the best price, you can record prices in your area per pound, like I do in my Price Book.
You can order Nutritional Yeast on Amazon if it’s not available in your area.
This sauce is great on all the usual suspects: Pasta, nachos, even grilled cheese and quesadillas! Enjoy! 🙂
Vegan Unprocessed Cheese Sauce
- 1 medium Potato, peeled and cubed I like to use yellow
- 1 medium Carrot, peeled and sliced in thick pieces
- 1/4 Onion, rough chop
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Silken Tofu
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes Use half the amount if using finer powder
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion Granuals
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Granuals
- 1 TB Miso Optional
- 1 TB Brown Mustard Optional
- Boil potato, carrot and onion together until soft, 10-15 minutes. You may need more water to cover.
- To a blender add silken tofu, nutritional yeast flakes, lemon juice, salt, onion granuals, and garlic granuals.
- Using a slotted spoon, add cooked carrot, onion and potato to blender with other ingredients. Pour in about half of the water.
- Pureé on highest setting until velvety smooth, adding more cooking water as needed. Scrape down sides if needed a few times.
- Taste, and adjust for salt. You can also add more lemon juice. Adding 1 TB brown mustard OR 1 TB miso is nice and changes the flavor profile, so add those if you like. The texture of this is great, and really mimics a “Processed” Cheese Sauce, but with healthy ingredients. Enjoy! 🙂