Quick 5-Minute Vegan Cheese Sauce (oil-free)
This is what I make when I want Cheese Sauce FAST! It thickens a lot as it cools, making it perfect for grilled cheese or quesadillas. You also re-heat it, add more water while whisking it to return it to a sauce.
Note: Recipe heavily adapted from a VegWeb Recipe.
- 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 cup Flour I use White Whole Wheat or Whole Wheat Pastry, any will work
- 1-1 1/2 tsp. Salt Start with 1 tsp. salt, add more if needed
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder or Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 2 cups Water
- 2 tsp. Miso If you don't have Miso, just leave it out or use Brown Mustard instead.
- 1 TB Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Maple Syrup
Add all dry ingredients to a saucepan and mix well.
Slowly add water and miso or mustard, whisking well. I use a whisk and a wooden spoon to incorporate everything well. An immersion (stick) blender works well too, but make sure yours is ok for hot foods.
Continue stirring and whisking over medium heat until thick. You may want to add more water depending on how thick you want the sauce at this point. Stir in lemon juice & maple syrup at end. Taste, and adjust for salt.
Use immediately, refrigerate any leftovers. When cooled, the sauce becomes "spreadable". You can return it back to a sauce by reheating and adding more water while heating it on the stovetop. An immersion blender makes this easy. Enjoy! :)